Thursday, January 15, 2015

Here we go.....................

I have been wanting to create a blog for a while now, and today I took the plunge.  There is no time like the present, right?

I have been teaching for twenty some years and love what I do.  I also love creating things for my classroom and for classrooms around the world.  Sharing my knowledge and wisdom just seems right. 

For my first post, I would like to talk about SOUND BOXES.
If you are familiar with them, hooray for you!  If you aren't, I would like to familiarize you with them. 

Sound Boxes are boxes that break up sounds.  Every sound gets a box, not every letter.  Since some sounds need more than one letter, some boxes will have more than one letter in them. 

For instance, the word cat has 3 sounds.  /c/ /a/ /t/
The word cash also has 3 sounds.  /c/ /a/ /sh/  But the "sh" in cash belongs in one box, because you don't hear /s/ and /h/.

I have been using sound boxes extensively with my students this year.  Their spelling skills have skyrocketed as a result.

When they are working on a writing piece in writers workshop, I hear them talking to themselves. "Ok, how many sound boxes does _____ have?  Then they start "finger spelling" the word and writing every sound that they hear.  They still spell some words wrong, but the difference is that I can now read their writing so much better.  They aren't leaving out sounds.  This also helps their reading.

Get a free preview here!
 
 

Sound Boxes for Reading and Spelling


Thanks for stopping by!
:) Carrie

0 comments: