Friday, January 16, 2015

Don't you love it when you come up with an unplanned stellar lesson.  Yesterday was one of those days for me!  I had a few extra students in my class because my team was testing their students one on one.  I couldn't do the planned lesson for that reason, so I had to come up with something that would engage 27 kiddos.  Here is what I did, and it was one of the best lessons for Genre that Iv'e ever done.....  I made this chart and had the students help me fill it in.  We went back to the beginning of the year and wrote in the genres we've learned until present. Our most recent is Procedural Text.  Some of which are fiction and some non-fiction.  This made this a bit more interesting.   I had a book for each type of genre that I wanted to discuss.  We had read all of the books so I knew that they would know the genre of each.  After we filled in the anchor chart, I put them into partners and asked them to discuss a set of books that I had selected.  I held up each book and asked them to turn and talk. I told them to take turns telling each other what genre the book belonged to and why.  The other student told their partner if they agreed or disagreed.  After I had allowed them a couple of minutes to discuss the book, I would repeat some of the things that I had heard and tell them which genre the book belonged.  The conversation was phenomenal. 

This may not be a pretty chart, but it was such an awesome lesson that I had to share it no matter.



I have made a graphic organizer type and you can grab it here for free.
 
 
 


You can use this Anchor Chart/Graphic Organize with any genre that you want to review.  Be ready for some awesome conversation!!

0 comments: